Friday, February 13, 2009

So How'd Your Week Go?

Here's a peek into our week:


Yes, two children checked into the hospital in one week - actually 3 days apart. Lucas was first. On Sunday (Feb. 1) we discovered a lump on him. On Monday the doctor said it was an abscess and put him on medicine to try and reduce the size. By Wednesday we realized it wasn't getting smaller. On Friday (Feb. 6) morning Lucas was checked into the hospital and was in surgery by noon. The abscess was removed and a drain was put in place. This week was filled with washing the area carefully with soap and water, putting gauze over it, and watching for a fever. We had an appointment today (Feb. 13) with the surgeon to have the drain removed. He said it appeared to be healing very nicely. Luke's face speaks volumes of his opinion of the whole ordeal:


3 days after Luke's surgery, Jared wanted in on the action! He came home from school on Thursday (Feb. 5) with a fever and aching legs. He threw up that night in bed - you can imagine the wonderful adventure that was as Dan and I were already preparing that night for Luke to go into surgery the next morning! On Friday he had a fever and a headache. On Saturday he said his neck was bothering him. By Sunday (Feb. 8) his neck was visibly stiff. We called the nurse hotline through Kaiser and they asked a few questions. When he couldn't put his chin to his chest she told us to bring him in. Dan took off with Jared and I stayed with our 2 other children since it was close to bedtime. Long story short they feared he had spinal meningitis. He had a few vials of blood taken from his hand, had an IV put into his arm, and had a spinal tap! After tests came back negative for meningitis, he was allowed to come home.


I suppose we should be grateful Liz doesn't have a matching bracelet too. Funny thing is, she's the only one who would appreciate a new bracelet to wear.

6 comments:

jen and michael said...

What cute and strong little boys. And by the way, that is some awesome stink eye from Lucas!

Lisa said...

Uh . . . well I only went to the urgent care once and the regular doctor's office three times. So my week went much better than yours! You have my total sympathy.

So sorry to hear, but glad they are doing better. I always ask my kids how their necks feel every time they have a fever. I'm paranoid about meningitis.

I hope you have a restful weekend and a day off on Monday. You definitely deserve it. Miss you!

The Greathouse Family said...

I'm so sorry all that happened this week! Poor kids! I hope they get all better soon. That must have been so scary and exhausting for you.

Anonymous said...

such a crazy week. thankfully things were taken care of and you live in a place where you can have fast treatment and such. glad to see they're going better.

Ange said...

Wow, how awful. Hope they are all doing better. Those kind of things are so scary.

b + j = calculus said...

oh man, how crazy! sounds like you guys have been having too much fun in california! love seeing the updates of your fam and we miss you!